Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An Open Letter to President Obama. No We Can't?

Dear Mr. President,

Let me make this very clear, since the public option was the compromise between single-payer (which we Liberals wanted) and the co-op, which the conservative Democrats and conservatives want (because it will fail due to being weak with no bargaining power) then I will be very let down should you sign a co-op bill. That's not a compromise but rather a SECOND compromise by our side on the left. That's giving away too much of the store. You said you wouldn't sign a bill without a public option and that you're willing to be a one term president to get it and I am holding you to that statement.

If you sign a co-op bill I will feel completely dismissed as a member of the left who brought you into power and gave you 60 seats in the Senate and a majority in the House only to see this fail. That will NOT make many of us Liberals happy AT ALL. Don't do a second compromise Sir, we on the left won't stand for it.

Thank-you for listening,

James U.
Colorado

TPJ: A bill that doesn't include cost containment (such as a co-op) is no bill at all. The public option is the only option at this point. Anything less is a waste of time, money, political capital and the voter's trust. I'm not a party over principle guy so I'm not going to be bullied into accepting what the Democrats tell us to accept. We've been trying to get some meaningful health care reform since at least Truman and actually since Teddy Roosevelt. Monumental health care reform is my top priority as a voter and it was a big reason why I voted for Obama. So if he goes with this open-ended, weak co-op cop-out plan then I'll be seriously thinking about voting Green Party next time. I'm still waiting for the Obama I voted for to show up.

These spineless, jelly-fish limb Democrats who think a co-op will be more palatable to the right-wing are wasting oxygen because those flat-Earthers won't vote for it either!! They still don't get it--THE REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT ANY BILL. They like the status quo, which is killing America and why we elected you, MR. PRESIDENT!!! Obama needs to go to these corrupt "Conservative Democrats" who are sitting on the fence and say to them, "Look. I'm not going to ask for your loyalty on everything but on this important of an issue I am. So if you don't vote for this, I will do my best to see you defeated by a primary challenger." Period--end of sentence. Politics is a contact sport and it's not all nice and cuddly--even in your own party. People don't realize that there is a lot of hardball played--at least from people who know how politics works. Sometimes I wonder about Obama--I worry that he doesn't have enough umph. It takes a lot of talk and a bit of bullying to get anything done in that town. I worry he's too nice sometimes. If he can't even whip his own members into shape and line-up behind him on his most important policy issue than what hope is there that the Republicans will do ANYTHING for him during the next four years???

I'm tired of being let down by the Democratic Party and I'd rather vote for a party, (like the Green Party) which actually backs up what it says it stands for then constantly be let down by the Democrats. I mean, this is ridiculous. They have the presidency, the House and 60 votes in the Senate. Yet those pussy ass (excuse my French but I'm very pissed off right now) Democrats on the Hill and the president himself can't even get his main policy issue passed!! That party doesn't know what to do with power. They are always so worried about not offending anyone and not looking like a hard ass now and then that they don't end up doing anything!! They need a little LBJ in them--especially Obama. He knows how to moderate and do the bipartisan thing but he does it too well and might end up giving away the entire store because of it. He needs to crack some skulls up on the Hill like LBJ did to get Medicare. In particular Mr. Obama should keep this statement in mind, "Johnson: I would be prepared to have nothing rather than not have Medicare."

I mean, when did
, "Yes we can" become "Yes, no, I mean yes, wait, no....hold on let me run a poll. O.k., no we can't?" Howard Dean seems to agree with me:

The former Vermont governor was asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" about President Barack Obama's statement over the weekend that the public option for insurance coverage was "just a sliver" of the overall proposal. Obama's health and human services secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, advanced that line, telling CNN Sunday that a direct government role in a system intended to provide virtually universal coverage was "not the essential element."

Dean, a physician, argued that a public option is fair and said there must be such a choice in any genuine shake up of the existing system. "You can't really do health reform without it," he said. Dean maintained that the health insurance industry has "put enormous pressure on patients and doctors" in recent years. He called a direct government role "the entirety of health care reform. It isn't the entirety of insurance reform ... We shouldn't spend $60 billion a year subsidizing the insurance industry."

TPJ: Thank Darwin we still have Dean on our side. By the way, where has Russ Feingold been? I haven't heard much of anything from that great Liberal Lion. Maybe I've just over looked it. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., who is co-chairman of the Middle Class Caucus, said that "leaving private insurance companies the job of controlling the costs of health care is like making a pyromaniac the fire chief."

---End of Transmission---

3 comments:

Riverwolf, said...

LOVE that cartoon!

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Yeah it's pretty fun and oh so accurate--sadly. If the Democrats can't get health care passed I might officially go to the Green Party.

I've been flirting with it for awhile.

Riverwolf, said...

I really do better identify with the Green Party--but sadly, it seems many states make it next to impossible for third-party candidates to get on the ballot--especially here in the South!