Wednesday, June 20, 2007

World Refugee Day 2007

Well today is World Refuge Day and I can not help but feel ashamed. Ashamed that America takes in next to no Iraqi refugees despite all of our talk about defending the Iraqi people.

The state department announced in April that it had only taken in one Iraqi. That is nothing short of pathetic. Why even let any in then? Allowing just one Iraqi in is a slap in the face.

We are the ones who broke their country and yet we refuse to take in the innocent and most vulnerable of them. It is a very personalized example of the hypocrisy and heartless nature of our foreign policy in regards to Iraq.

America allows Cuban citizens into the country without hardly any restriction because they are considered, "political refugees" from a Communist country. And yet, we refuse to let hardly any Iraqi citizens into America from a country embroiled in a civil war that we helped create!!!!

How can we hold our heads up high anymore and be proud to be an American when we treat the world like this? Sweden is taking in many Iraqi refugees and yet they have nothing to do with our war there. And we take in one, ONE refugee in the entire month of April.

We might as well put up a new sign on the Statue of Liberty that says:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

P.S.-Unless your Iraqi. Oh yeah and no Mexicans.

---End of Transmission---

9 comments:

fashiongirl said...

James - If you could request political asylum from George Bush I'd be moving to Sweden right now. You're absolutely right, we must do more. On immigration as well. Shutting people out (unless they have H1B visas and work for minor ducats) isn't what made the country great. Maybe we could send Angelina Jolie over to raise awareness.

James said...

Fashion Girl:

I'm all about Sweden but I think I'd do Norway instead. I'm a quarter Norwegian and I've heard that Norway is one of the best places to live in the world. Although I'd certainly be happy with Sweden too.

enigma4ever said...

thanks for putting forth the Lady Liberty poem- that Bushco has never read or acknowledged....urgh....Keep Blogging it...

Lord of Logic said...

Certainly we should be making room for the people we have displaced. That only seems morally right.
However, I do have to descent on the "The New Colossus” citation. This was not a policy, it was a mushy poem designed to inspire and announce a common personality of the developing nation. Despite what we all think, it is not actually even inscribed on the outside of the Statue Of Liberty. There was a time when the need for hard working people with strong resolve, courage, and tolerances for isolation were needed. They were to settle the open spaces in America and help to stake the claim for our borders. This was Phase one of the Business plan we now know as the USA. Even then the icon who holds that moving proclamation overlooked an island that was the staging grounds for the registration and control of incoming immigrants. If we didn’t care who or how many showed up, why have such a facility.
So if by saying “no Mexicans” you mean “no illegal immigrants coming in undocumented, uncontrolled and lawless” then I have to agree.

James said...

Enigma:

Thanks!!

Lord of Logic:

I'm all for locking down our borders but then I'm for a compromise immigration policy for those already here.

Undeniable Liberal said...

It's truly a wonderful cunt tree that we live in. Brown people no longer allowed, unless you are willing to work as slaves.

James said...

Liberal:

You got it. We're living in the same tree that we're hanging ourselves from.

fashiongirl said...

James - I got my first tag this morning and am passing it on to you. I look forward to hearing 7 things about you that no one knows. Cheers!

James said...

Fashion Girl:

I'll do it. I'm actually working on an 8 Things post for my Sanitarium blog that I'll put up soon. I've been having a hard time thinking of things that people don't already know about me--lol.