Monday, June 11, 2007

The Sopranos Finale


Bada bing, bada boom--more like bada bing, bada dud.

That was the WORST ending of a TV show that I have EVER seen. I have been a loyal Sopranos fan for ages and pretty much only subscribe to HBO for The Sopranos and Real Time with Bill Mahr. However, I am thinking of ending our subscription due to this horrible, lazy, "cop-out" ending. It ended abruptly--so abruptly that I thought our satellite feed went out and that we missed that last, crucial moment. I screamed thinking I had missed the "money shot" and left me cursing at DIRECTV.

I'm not going to give anything away if you haven't seen it yet but it blows--big time. In fact, you might as well just read a recap or have me tell you what happened because it's not worth your time. It will just insult your intelligence and loyal viewing of what use to be a great show. I think they got tired of writing at the caliber we've come to expect from the show and just blew us all off with this ending.

Some people are trying to defend the ending but I do not think it's defensible unless you are o.k. with mediocre writing. It use to be a show that portrayed men of conviction and courage but the ending certainly was not that courageous or full of conviction. It was a severe let down and left my wife and I dropping the "F bomb" and expressing our anger and frustration for about an hour after the show.

I do not feel satisfied. I have been a loyal fan since the late first season and feel that they owed us a spectacular solid ending. Never-the-less, instead we are left with an ending that gives one the impression that they were afraid to end it in a shocking, "in your face" bold manner--something the show was known for.

And don't give me that crap that they were trying to be artsy about it. It was flat out dumb, lazy and very unsatisfying. And that we are to use our imagination which is a stupid conclusion if you ask me because I watch t.v. to watch someone else's imagination to show me something fantastic that I could have never imagined.

If I was meant to use my imagination then why even do the series at all?!! I might as well have just gotten stoned and thought up my own mafia fantasy!! I mean, COME ON!!!!!! Show me your genius that you get payed so much money for and give me something spectacular to end things with.

A good mob movie should be like a good Shakespeare or Greek tragedy where everyone is either dead or dying.

Some people think the ending hints towards a Sopranos movie which I think would be a bad idea. Television shows rarely lend themselves to make good movies.

Thanks HBO for hooking us into this show and then leaving us wanting much more. You assholes. You're like that tease of a girl who will get you going and then leave you with blue balls with out a glorious release and ending.

In a series that was all about the mafia and plenty of "bangs" and "whacks" it ended up going out with a whimper and the fans were the ones whacked. I give you 8 years of my life and countless amounts of $$$ and you give me THIS in return???

So here's my Sopranos answer to HBO: Fuck you you fucking fucks. If you gave that kind of ending to Tony he'd shoot ya dead in da head. Ya heard?

---End of Transmission---

4 comments:

MothandRust said...

I never actually watched the Sopranos... I'll get around to renting out the dvds one day. I'll keep my expectations low for the final moments and enjoy the journey.

Ya just can't trust the mafia types eh? We was robbed.

Star Trek season finales have never excited me. I think x-files has also got the lamest unfinished finale rank too.

PTCruiser said...

I get the impression you didn't like the last show, James.

Brent said...

I thought that the ending was great. Look, if you are on your final episode, you want people talking about it and the best way of doing that is for some kind of controversy. Everybody and their mother has been talking about the ending of the series.

Besides, I can see the endings that they did shoot on the DVD Box set. Imagine having the promotion of 3 to 5 alternate endings to the series. Can you say money-maker?

Besides, let's say that the ending is that Tony and family were shot. They show AJ slumped against a wall, Meadow curled up in a ball with a stomach wound. Carmella with a piece of head missing and Tony laying out flat. They have the paramedics come in and go to black. Then you hear the paramedics say this one's alive, this one's dead etc. Would that give you closure? No. I think people are just pissed that the expectation of Tony getting what he deserved never materialized.

That is why the ending was great. The show always had no black or white. Why start at the very end?

James said...

Moth:

Yeah the journey is good but that ending was taking the lazy and easy way out of a complex and detailed show.

PT:

I loathed it. Hehe...

Brent:

Besides, let's say that the ending is that Tony and family were shot. They show AJ slumped against a wall, Meadow curled up in a ball with a stomach wound. Carmella with a piece of head missing and Tony laying out flat. They have the paramedics come in and go to black. Then you hear the paramedics say this one's alive, this one's dead etc. Would that give you closure?

That would actually be a great ending. At least it would have given us more to chew on then the one they gave us. Yes people are talking about it but mostly because people think it was bad. I saw a poll on MSNBC of over 100k people and over 60% hated the ending.

All in all though I'm glad that some people liked it. :) I just hope that "Lost" doesn't end this way. That could quite possibly drive me to jumping off a bridge...Haha!!