Monday, January 29, 2007

Air America Finds a Buyer

GOI: My comments below:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Air America Radio, a liberal talk radio network, said Monday that it had reached a tentative agreement to be sold to the founder of a New York area real estate company. The network also said that
Al Franken, its longtime headline personality, would depart next month. The agreement with Stephen Green, the founder and chairman of SL Green Realty Corp., appears to rescue the struggling network, which has been seeking a buyer since last fall when it filed for bankruptcy reorganization after reaching an impasse with one of its creditors.

Any sale would have to be approved by the bankruptcy court. The company has signed what is called a letter of intent to sell itself to Green and expects to agree on financial terms soon, Air America spokeswoman Jaime Horn said.

The network said in a statement that Franken's last day on the air would be Feb. 14, and that his noon-3pm ET time slot would be taken over by Portland, Ore.-based talk show host Thom Hartmann.

GOI: This is excellent news. Radio is the place where hearts and minds are won and where Americans get a lot of their information and liberals have been late to the party. And some are still blowing it off like Shrillary Clinton. It is critical that Air America (and others like Ed Schultz) keeps the alternative voice out there. People deserve and need to hear both sides so that they can make an informed decision.

Anyway, I never really liked Al Franken's style or his show but I really like Hartmann. Hartmann has a deep knowledge of American history and understanding of a myriad of topics. He is a brilliant, brilliant guy. His spit-fire style is always on target. I am excited that he will be a regular host and not just a fill in guy. I have long written Air America to sign him on as a regular.

---End of Transmission---

8 comments:

Lynne said...

I still miss Morning Sedition.

JoeC said...

Thom Hartmann's cool, and his books are awesome, too. Dense with fascinating information. Last Rays of Ancient Sunlight was the first green book that really explained to me how we can't forever sustain a society that uses more energy than is converted from the sun each year, how the industrial revolution and oil were really not the blessings humanity thought they were.

The Prophet's Way (along with Michael Crichton's nonfiction Travels) was one of the better books on spirituality and alternate views of reality I've read.

What Would Jefferson Do? --Great book for spelling out the path the USA is on, and the pitfalls we've stumbled into...

Gotta read some more of Hartmann's stuff, but there's only so many hours in the day. I like Franklin, but I'm glad they're putting somebody like Hartmann in the vacant spot instead of trying to find a subpar Franklin clone.

Lynne said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Joe. I had put all things Michael Crichtona side after that anti-global warming tome but I may have to look at Travels.

james said...

Lynne:

Yeah I liked Morning Sedition too.

Joe C:

I haven't read any of his books but I have them on my list. Thanks for the reminders. I'll bump them up. :)

james said...

Lynne:

Yeah I liked Morning Sedition too.

Joe C:

I haven't read any of his books but I have them on my list. Thanks for the reminders. I'll bump them up. :)

Brent said...

Never did find Al Franken's show real good. Now, I can listen to The Rachel Maddow Show and The Randi Rhodes show all day long.

james said...

Brent:

Yeah I like those two ladies a lot. Especially Randi. She's my favorite talker. She definitely is "The Goddess of Radio."

costa rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: condo costa estate real rica, condo costa rica, condos for sale in costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/