Monday, April 10, 2006

Immigration Reform

I have avoided weighing in on this issue as I haven't exactly hammered out a firm position on it.

However, let me say how I feel about it at this point.

I think that the biggest thing we need to do to stop illegal immigration is slap the businesses and corporations that hire illegals with massive fines.

I also feel though that we should grant amnesty to the ones already here, beef up the border with more agents and a better fence all along the border. It would cost a lot but it would be worth it I think to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

I wish that we could keep our border open but we just can't do that. Mainly from a security issue in this dangerous world. However, also from the stand point that we can not maintain an increasing illegal population on our resources. This is why amnesty and citizenship of the millions already here is a good idea. We can document them and get some tax money out of them just like anyone else so that we can help pay for these resources. Just imagine the amount of money that would be put into the system if we could tax these millions of immigrants as any other American.

I also like the idea that you can become a citizen of America if you serve some time in the military.

I'd like to commend the Catholic church for standing up for these immigrants and offering them humanitarian aide. That is truly following in the example of Christ. It would be a crime against humanity to make these religious good samaritans criminals.

It would also be a terrible, terrible idea to turn all of these 11-20 million illegal immigrants into felons. Our prisons are over-crowded enough as it is and if you're worried about the resources being zapped by illegal immigrants now, just imagine how much it would cost to deport or criminalize all of these people. Not to mention that many of these immigrants have children born into the United States who are citizens, speak English and pay into the system. It would be a humanitarian nightmare to pull these families apart and ship off their parents and grandparents who's status is illegal. It isn't realistic.

We have to come to terms with these issues. Especially in light of these MASSIVE protests and gatherings of legal and illegal immigrants. These people are mostly here to work hard and be apart of this wonderful country. We can not turn a deaf ear against the millions of people who are speaking with one voice in these gigantic rallies.

Most of us seem to forget that our ancestors arrived here in mass immigration waves back in the day. Most of which were all accepted without question into this country to add to our great American project. Have we forgotten the words on the Statue of Liberty?

“Give me your tired, your poor,Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore – Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me;I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

-From the poem "The NewColossus" by Emma Lazarus

PHOTO CREDIT: AP James A. Finley

---End of Transmission---

6 comments:

Tom said...

Your position on this issue sounds good to me, James. Since you aren't in congress, about to vote on anything, I figure you needn't find a firm position. Uncertainty is healthy, I think.

One more thing I might want is an increase in the immigration quota for Mexico. And we should allow Mexicans to represent 90+% of the total quota for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure how relevant this point is (perhaps not at all): But America did 'steal' the Western states from Mexico in that war in the 1840s. America faked a claim that the Mexican Army crossed into Texas and went to war to gain territory.

Jeremy said...

If you ever want to see the Republican fear machine at it’s finest…then look no further to the myths of immigrants.

Admittedly their party is split on all of this though. You’ve got the “America Love it or Leave it” conservative Republicans wanting to arrest or deport all of these illegals immediately. Then you have the big business Republicans who want to protect the businesses who benefit from the work the illegals do.

It makes for a very, very interesting and rare rift within a party that squashes dissent and mimics itself to an almost dictatorship type of degree.

james said...

Tom:

I agree that uncertainty is healthy. It allows a person to be in a position to compromise and compromise is the key to over-comine any impass (in my opinion).

I also agree with you on the quota.

Jeremy:

Yep, myths, immigrants and woman having abortions. Those are their three big wedge issues.

The split in the party does amuse me. I think the best thing that the Dem's can do is sit back, give the Republican'ts plenty of rope and watch them hang themselves.

PTCruiser said...

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, James.

I don't think illegal immigration is nearly as much of a burden as the supposed "left-wing media" would have you believe.

I found a site that I think you should take a look at for a different perspective here.

In addition to that, I see this as history simply repeating itself. There is a general feeling among Americans that what is theirs is not for the sharing. For example, this quote from the Chicago Post in the mid-1800's : "The Irish fill our prisons, our poor houses...Scratch a convict or a pauper, and the chances are that you tickle the skin of an Irish Catholic. Putting them on a boat and sending them home would end crime in this country."

And that's just one small example of the experience of many immigrants entering this country over the years.

I don't think this country is capable of stopping illegal immigration, nor do I think they should.

By the way, I like your blog, James.

james said...

PT:

I think you might have misinterpreted my post. I am very much pro-immigrant and pro-amnesty. I am for beefing up the border though for security reasons such as for helping to keep terrorists out.

Zen Unbound said...

Manual Trackback. This post is cited in Blogmandu, Roundup for Apr 9 - 15, 2006.