Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Ex-Powell Aide Blasts Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld on War in Iraq


WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Secretary of State Colin Powell's chief of staff says President Bush was "too aloof, too distant from the details" of post-war planning, allowing underlings to exploit Bush's detachment and make bad decisions.

In an Associated Press interview Monday, former Powell chief of staff Lawrence Wilkerson also said that wrongheaded ideas for the handling of foreign detainees after Sept. 11 arose from a coterie of White House and Pentagon aides who argued that "the president of the United States is all-powerful," and that the Geneva Conventions were irrelevant.

Wilkerson blamed Vice President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and like-minded aides. Wilkerson said that Cheney must have sincerely believed that Iraq could be a spawning ground for new terror assaults, because "otherwise I have to declare him a moron, an idiot or a nefarious bastard."

Wilkerson suggested his former boss may agree with him that Bush was too hands-off about Iraq.

"What he seems to be saying to me now is the president failed to discipline the process the way he should have and that the president is ultimately responsible for this whole mess," Wilkerson said.

He said Powell now generally believes it was a good idea to remove Saddam Hussein from power, but may not agree with either the timing or execution of the war. Wilkerson said Powell may have had doubts about the extent of the threat posed by Saddam Hussein but was convinced by then-CIA Director George Tenet and others that the intelligence girding the push toward war was sound.

Wilkerson criticized the CIA and other agencies for allowing mishandled and bogus information to underpin that speech and the whole administration case for war.

He said he has almost, but not quite, concluded that Cheney and others in the administration deliberately ignored evidence of bad intelligence and looked only at what supported their case for war.

Cheney's office, Rumsfeld aides and others argued "that the president of the United States is all-powerful, that as commander in chief the president of the United States can do anything he damn well pleases," Wilkerson said.

Powell raised frequent and loud objections, his former aide said, once yelling into a telephone at Rumsfeld: "Donald, don't you understand what you are doing to our image?"

GOI: Yet another ex-high ranking official in the Bush administration that is coming out against Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld.

Wow, even more people who are lying I guess. This is another case apparently of "It's everyone's fault but theirs."

What more proof do the 30 some percent sheeple need that the Bushies misled us into war!! I am beginning to think that even if President Bush and VP Cheney openly came out and admitted that they misled America that these people would still say, "Oh well, it's not as bad as what Clinton did."

"Support your President right or wrong" I guess is the motto of these die hards.

---End of Transmission---

8 comments:

Underground Logician said...

*LOL*

You call this proof?

You get torqued with me because you get tired of tussling with me. If you're going to use terms from logic, at least try to learn what the terms mean so you use them correctly. If not, beware, I may swoop down and irritate you!

Instead of "proof", the correct term is "OPINION." You are quite confident in what you suppose about Bush & Co., even though it is not substantiated. That's where you went over the line.

Sheeple who don't understand logic will read what you wrote and think that what you give them is proof. You and I know better.

So, I'll go now so you can quick correct the wording of this post. You don't want to think of yourself as leading people astray, do you? Oh, I'll be hovering...

Tom said...

UL,

There is now a lot of "opinion" about what goes on within the cloistered White House that converges.

It's sort of like the general OPINION that the earth is spherical, or that evolution happened. OPINION is painting a picture for us. There is enough OPINION in such that a jury would convict.

mikevotes said...

I have this wild assed theory that there is a group of Bush Sr. realists who are aiming to take out the neocon interventionists in this Bush admin.

There have been a number of leaks regarding the runup to Iraq unflattering to Cheney that look to have come from somebody high up in Powell's office at the time.

You've got Wilkerson, Powell's second for years, going after Cheney Rumsfeld.

You've got Scowcroft ripping into this administration.

And you've got reports of a huge rift between Bush I and Bush II.

I just find this interesting.

Underground Logician said...

Hmmm, I should have defined "opinion" for you as well. Well, anyway, yes, I'll bet juries have been known to convict on opinion; even acquit on opinion. But, juries aren't the measure of truth. Be that as it may, the earth being round is a truth. Evolution is a theory, an absurd one at that. James, I know you're trying to be rhetorically cute, but I think you're a bit mixed up.

Blake said...

I really like Wilkerson. And I'm glad to see the European media giving him some attention. Now when will our media join suit?

james said...

Mike:

Good points.

mikevotes said...

Just watch, there's a movement afoot to kneecap only some of the people in the whitehouse. Notice in all the blasts from the Bush I crowd, that Bush Jr is never named as the villian.

Wilkerson, Scowcroft, Powell, they all point to Cheney and Rumsfeld as the villians. Nary a word about the president.

It's like Bush I is orchestrating a campaign to save his headstrong son who won't listen to Bush I because of his "father issues."

Underground Logician said...

James:

I'm sorry I attributed Tom's comments to you. It's Tom who's mixed up on the term "opinion."

Mikevotes:

What are you doing? A little psychotherapy here? Doing a little armchair analysis of Bush I & II? Maybe you could help me. I get really uptight with opinions, slander, hate and vitriol being broadcast as news. Everywhere I look, I see opinion being stated as fact, ungrounded assertions forced on us. Could you help me too? What do you think I need?

Just Mikevotes, now. I know what a lot of you might suggest for me. *LOL* Just mikey.