Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Corporation


We just finished watching this powerful documentary and I HIGHLY recommend it to ANYONE and EVERYONE.

This from a review on Amazon by Allan A. Scott of Bloomingdale, IL:

So, in its intent and construction and execution, it is brilliant- the type of film I would sacrifice 100,000 typical films if only we could encounter its type more often. I dream of seeming and sharing this type of film and in this instance, my dream has manifested.

I couldn't agree more.

We as human citizens of Earth have been brainwashed by massive corporations into going against our best interests and especially our physical and mental health.

Corporations have one goal in mind and that is the bottom line. They do not care about the environment and they do not care about morality. Companies like Nike and Wal-Mart and allowing child labor @ 8 cents and hour in some cases!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!

The movie goes through a checklist of mental illness symptoms that most corporations embody and in the end we find out that the diagnosis is that of a psychopath.

Thus, we realize that our corporations have WAY too much power. Watch this movie and prepare to be blown away, enraged and enboldened to do something to take back the power to the people.

I found it to be the most important movie that I have seen in MANY, MANY years. I plan to buy the 2-disc dvd and give out to my family and friends to watch/borrow. If you ever wanted to do me a favor or buy me a present then this it it....

Just watch the movie. Posted by Hello

7 comments:

UK plc said...

I couldn't agree more. I thought it was a LITTLE long for the cinema (although I had the misfortune of seeing it in quite an uncomfortable cinema) but it's a brilliant film, no doubt about it, very well made - a great improvement on co-director Mark Achbar's 1992 film about Noam Chomsky and the media ("Manufacturing Consent") which itself was a very good film, although definitely too long, among other problems. The Corporation should be seen by everyone. That it was not even nominated for an Oscar is a scandal. It ought to have won them all.

Amichai said...

I tend to think Nom Chomsky just a jackass, but that is neither her nor there. I haven't seen this movie, but I am generally skeptical of this type of documentary. Like Michael Moore's, well really any of his films (canadian bacon excluded) and the documentaries that arose in response to Fahrenheit 9/11, this seems less a true documentary than a very slick piece of propaganda. If one's intent is to make the corporate world look evil, then he/she will cut the footage in such a way to prove their point. Contra wise, if one wants to make corporations saviors of democracy, then that's what we'll see.

I haven't seen this particular film so I can't comment directly, but in general, I have a general distrust of this type of documentary, regardless whether it comes at it from a liberal or conservative viewpoint.

james said...

Amichai,

I understand you skepticism but this documentary was really well researched I thought. Better then Fahrenheit 9/11 by far. There were opinions on both sides. Pro-corporate people and those who feel corporations should be regulated a lot more. I for one do not feel that we should (or can) totally do away with corporations but I do feel that they have gotten away with literally murder is some cases. Besides many are allowing their products to be made by children in sweat shops around the world.

I understand your point but we have to ask the imporant questions and try to better ourselves and our society. I guess my view point is I'm glad someone is playing "watch dog" and asking the tough questions to make sure we are not ultimately destroying ourselves and our planet.

UK plc said...

Comparing The Corporation to Fahrenheit 9/11 is not really even possible. Everybody is out to prove a point - this is true of any documentary, newspaper, book etc. Objectivity is more often than no masking an agenda.
Now, I take your point that when pushing your agenda goes beyond an honest investigation and slides in to outright deceit (like Fahrenheit 9/11) then the documentary loses its value.
My point is that films should be judged on its merits. How well is it able to back up the points it is making? Is the evidence it presents in support of its claims convincing? Has it left out inconvenient facts? These are questions one ought to ask about everything presented as "factual" and not only about things with an explicit point of view.
And I think that watching this film critically will be most rewarding. Even those who disagree will surely not fail to be stimulated to think about the important issues it raises. And it gives corporate leaders a chance to reply. Large sections of the film are dedicated to one CEO who is making environmentally friendly carpets and a lot of time is given to the Chief Executive of Shell to rebut the claims of protesters. Honestly, I have never seen a documentary film like this, but there ought to be many, many more.

james said...

Another point about documentaries. Even our media has beccome "corporate" so often it takes a privately funded documentary to ask the tough questions and push forward as a country and society.

johninspace said...

yep ... great film
check my review...

http://www.litefeeds.com/blojsom/blog/john/random/?permalink=Documentary_The_Corporation.html

Anna said...

I will sure watch this film. Clenbuterol