Sunday, January 02, 2005

Tao Te Ching Verse 77

As it acts on the world, the Tao is like the bending of a bow.
The top is bent downward; the bottom is bent up.
It adjusts excess and deficiency so that there is perfect balance.
It takes from what is too much and gives to what isn't enough.

Those who try to control, who use force to protect their power, go against the direction of the Tao.
They take from those who don't have enough and give to those who have far too much.

The Master can keep giving because there is no end to her wealth.
She acts without expectation, succeeds without taking credit, and doesn't think that she is better than anyone else.

-Tao Te Ching
Translation by Steven Mitchell
v. 77


---End of Transmission---

5 comments:

Kitten said...

Oh...you know me soooo well, my dear..

(lol)

Alekx said...

**sniff**
that was my line
Master kitten indead. LOL
I guess I either bend the bow to much or let it spring back to straight up and down cuz I can't seem to balance anything
Including my own body as it corresponds with gravity. :-)

Meredith said...

To the mind that is still,
the whole universe surrenders.
Tao Te Ching

Peter said...

Hi James,

Thanks for the quotes. I'm getting more interested in Taoism - it seems to formalise my outlook.

Happy New Year. 2005 is the year of the blog :)

Peter said...

Check this out James

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/12/21/americas-war-with-itself-/

This guy has a weekly column in the Guardian (you've got it linked) and is probably my favourite writer. He posts all his columns on this site (eventually) and usually has something enlightening to say.