Friday, January 21, 2005

Damn Dog

There is a new guy that moved in next door and he has this Chocolate Lab with him that is very cute but very annoying. The dog barks all damn day long and it is starting to drive me to drink. Ha! I think the guy leaves the door open in the back because the dog comes and goes all day long. He has the loudest bark, I can hear it even when I'm sittin' on the john in the bathroom!! Grr.

All of this wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't just starting online classes. I have to sit on the computer all day pretty much and it is SO hard to concentrate on my reading, etc. with this dog barking. Thing is, I don't know what to do. I would just talk to the guy but 1). he seems a bit surly and 2). I don't want the dog to suffer and I worry if he locks him in the house that he will not be able to poop all day long and he'll have to go in the house and get in trouble with his "dad." Plus, locking him in the house all day long won't really solve anything either. I mean, I can hear him bark when he's inside the house too! I guess it would at least "soften" and quiet it a little bit.

Argh. I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions??


---End of Transmission---

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, I really do.

I hate dogs that bark for no reason, all the time.

The ONLY thing that will cure that dog of this maddening habit, is being properly trained by his master... i.e. being scolded every time he barks.

If his master isn't up to the task, he could try one of those collars that use an ultrasonic blast to chastise the dog when it barks.

The main issue, it sounds like, is going to be eliciting cooperation from the master.

Alternatively, you could offer to keep an eye on the dog when he's away, and help in it's training, and train it to keep quiet yourself?

Maurice said...

How interesting it would be for us to get into a debate about the ethics of punishment....still there's no time and we have a dog to train!

Some ideas:

1) Move
2) Wear earplugs
3) Create the same environment when you have to recall the information as you did when learing it (record the dogs bark and play it back to yourself when necessary)
4) Keep Giving it food - it surely can't eat and bark at the same time! (Ok so it gets fat but it can go on a diet when you have finished studying)
5) Give it chewing gum
6) Perhaps he barks because he craves attention so buy a dog yourself and the two can hang out together communicating solely through body language (or sign language if they prefer)

Good luck. I believe you can get used to anything though. My husband and I lived next to a chiming clock for three years which chimed each hour on the hour for 24. We then moved to a flat next to a mainline london traintrack - our guests complain about the noise when they stay over but we no longer hear it.

Maurice said...

How interesting it would be for us to get into a debate about the ethics of punishment....still there's no time and we have a dog to train!

Some ideas:

1) Move
2) Wear earplugs
3) Create the same environment when you have to recall the information as you did when learing it (record the dogs bark and play it back to yourself when necessary)
4) Keep Giving it food - it surely can't eat and bark at the same time! (Ok so it gets fat but it can go on a diet when you have finished studying)
5) Give it chewing gum
6) Perhaps he barks because he craves attention so buy a dog yourself and the two can hang out together communicating solely through body language (or sign language if they prefer)

Good luck. I believe you can get used to anything though. My husband and I lived next to a chiming clock for three years which chimed each hour on the hour for 24. We then moved to a flat next to a mainline london traintrack - our guests complain about the noise when they stay over but we no longer hear it.

Kate said...

You know those drugs you get to calm you down ........ Small doses, administered gently ........